This is one of the best dishes in Turkish cuisine. Turkish Stuffed Eggplant is a five-star dishes and it is served almost all restaurants in Turkey. Translation of “Karniyarik” is split belly. 🙂 The eggplant belly is split and stuffed with a mince. If you like eggplant, I strongly suggest you to try this recipe. 😉
- 5 small eggplants
- 1/3 lb ground beef
- 2 green peppers, sliced, for topping
- 1 tomato, sliced, for topping
- 1 onion diced
- 3tbsp chopped parsley
- 2tbsp olive oil for filling
- 5tbsp olive oil for eggplant
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/4tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
To bake stuffed eggplant:
- 1cub hot water
- 1tbsp pepper or tomato paste
- Wash and peel the eggplants lengthwise with strips. Poke holes on each eggplant to make them cook quicker.
- Place the eggplants on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Or if you want you can fry them as a whole in a deep pot with oil until golden brown.
- While eggplants bake, heat 2tbsp olive oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent. Break up the beef and add it to the pan, along with the salt and pepper. Cook until the meat browns, approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the parsley and tomatoes.
- Once you are done with first round of baking the eggplants,stuff them with the ground beef filling. Top each one with strips of bell pepper and the sliced tomatoes.
- Mix 1 tbsp pepper or tomato paste with 1 cup water andget a reddish water. Pour it directly in the oven tray. Bake them at 400F until tomatoes and green peppers are baked (about 20 min).